The club was founded in 1897 and moved to its present location in 1919. It is situated at the end of Little Ees Lane and is today surrounded by farmland, Ashton-on-Mersey golf course and, on two sides, the River Mersey.
Severe setbacks were suffered when a whirlwind blew off the pavilion roof in 1958 and a fire destroyed the pavilion in 1960, while a further fire in 1985 was followed by the construction of the present brick pavilion with excellent changing rooms, bar and leisure facilities.
Ashton-on-Mersey played in the Manchester and District Cricket Association for most of its existence and enjoyed the membership of many colourful personalities such as Allan Barratt, Hector Ritchings, Peter Gresty, Eddie Baker, David Parker and Alan Whitelegg, the club’s finest season being in 1959 when they won the Stockton Championship trophy, Barratt taking 86 wickets at less than seven runs apiece. More recently, the Stockton Trophy was regained in 1996, the President’s Trophy won in 1997 along with the Burtonwood 2nd XI Trophy.
The most famous cricketer to have played for the club was former West Indian Test player Clairmonte Depeiaza, who may be best known for a world Test record 7th wicket partnership of 347 with Dennis Atkinson in May 1955 to which Depeiaza contributed 122. Clairmonte joined AOM in 1978 and played until 1989. He was seen regularly at the club up until his death in 1995.
Since 1999 Ashton-on-Mersey has played within the Cheshire Pyramid. After an initial season in mid-table, the Ashton club was relegated from the Cheshire County League to the Meller Braggins Cheshire League at the end of the 2000 season and two further relegations were suffered within three years.
The return from the depths of Division 3 begun with promotion in 2005 and the Division 2 title in 2006. Promotion back to the County League was attained with the Division 1 championship in 2009, although it proved not to be a long stay, with the 1st XI finishing bottom and being relegated back to the Cheshire League for 2011.
Under the chairmanships of firstly Dave Marsden and now of Mark Timms, Ashton-on-Mersey has become a club with a young and enthusiastic playing membership and a flourishing junior section. Significant ground improvements have been made including a new three lane net facility, scorebox and the installation of 51 solar energy panels on the pavilion roof.